“If music be the food of love, play on.” –William Shakespeare
Music is one of the mildest features of life today without which, there is hardly any scope to survive well. In turbulent times nowadays when violence and extremism have crept into the human lives in almost every single sphere of lives, fine arts like music can calm down and sober the situation to an extent.
In fact, if one has the heart to listen carefully, then music is spread throughout nature and all around us. The natural music that has been depleted to a large extent by urbanization and has rather been replaced by too much of annoying noise all over still persists silently beyond the chaos. As soon as the chaos die down, the music of nature can be heard and felt, especially in the morning and night time that helps the humans to rejuvenate and start fighting for a new day once again. This reminds of the fact that music indeed is necessary nowadays although quite unknowingly it has taken a significant position in the modern lives.
How can music make lives better?
In the most basic form, music is one of the fine arts, which means that it is created out of innovation, technical and imaginative skills through various types of musical instruments that can be broadly divided into string instruments, percussion instruments, and air instruments. Each of these emits a different type of pleasant music that is very soothing to hear and pleasing for the ears as well. However, apart from the entertaining aspects, music also has a major role to play in several other ways in the lives of the people today. The prominence of music in the recent times cannot even be envisaged. However, here are some points that can summarize a few factors related to the importance of music in life:
- As Greek philosopher Plato has put it, ‘Music for the realization of soul’, makes it an essential part of education as well. This is because it is believed that music has a direct connection own self and therefore, it helps an individual to relax and reflect upon the various facets of characteristics related to self. This not only helps the person to understand the gray areas and improve upon the same but also aid in the process of overall mental and personality development because the brain cells find a path to express through music.
- Music is also a very powerful medicine and in the real sense of the term. It has got a wonderful healing power owing to the melody that it carries along with it and this aid in the process of mending the morose mood of a person. Not only that, music will immediately make one feel refreshed who had otherwise been drained out of exhaustion and fatigue. Mental illnesses nowadays are being given special musical therapy in order to cure the patients because studies and researches have revealed that music eases the muscles of the body as well as the brain that assists in the normal functioning as a whole. Diseases like insomnia, depression, anxiety attacks, etc. have been found to be getting moderated and even cured due to the application of music therapy. This is the reason that music therapy has become pretty widespread today even in the medical science department. Just as a child feels safest and soundest in the mother’s lap, the patients too, have quite a similar feeling altogether when music plays.
- The most vital aspect of music is the emotional enhancement that it provides for any human being who listens to it. There are various forms of music and in different languages spread across the length and breadth of the globe. No matter what variations there are in the patterns of the different forms of music today, all of these have emotionally helped the individuals in all kinds of situations. The soft music has aided in bringing down the negativity inside the mind and out whereas some jazz and rock music have shaped a person’s mind in some different manner. Music is there for hard as well as good times and there is no way one can stay aloof from the same. In fact, the language and cultural barriers meltdown with music and this help in breaking the boundaries of the countries. Intermingling between nations becomes easier and international peace and harmony also tends to get restored.
Also read:Importance of Love in our life
What music does to our lives, cannot be put down in words in a complete way because words are too short to express the same. However, it can be stated that music is the magical power that keeps the mankind intact still today.
Tags:speech on music is a basic need in life, simple speech about music, importance of music in our life essay, artical on the importance of music in life, write a article on importance of music in human life
Music is the pleasant sound (vocal or instrumental) that leads us to experience harmony and higher happiness.
Music is an essential part of human life. The importance of music in various spheres of human life is briefly discussed below:
Fine Arts: Music is one of the fine arts. Like other forms of art, it requires creative and technical skill and the power of imagination. As dance is an artistic expression of movement and painting of colors, so music is of sounds. What a pretty sight is to the eyes, aroma is to the nose, delicious dish is to the palate and soft touch is to the skin, so music is to the ears.
Music is an important aspect of Education: According to Plato, one of the eminent Greek philosophers, music is an important aspect of education. In his scheme of education, he has laid emphasis on three disciplines:
- Gymnastics for the training and development of the body,
- Mathematics for the training and development of brain, and
- Music for the realization of the soul.
Thus, music connects us with the real self, i.e. soul. While listening to relaxing music, we tend to begin the journey inward.
Also read: Short Paragraph on Music and its Importance
Music is loved by all living creatures: Love for music is not a tendency of human-beings only. It is a common characteristic of nearly all living creatures. The moment musical notes softly enter our ears; they rouse the dormant love for it. Mythology as well as folk tales bears evidence to the fact that even animals respond with joy to the melodious vibrations of the harp. The cows used to respond to the call of Lord Krishna’s flute and flock round him when it was time to return home.
Relaxing and Healing powers of Music: Music has unlimited powers, is a well established fact. It has a soothing and healing power. Music helps us to relax. Just as the application of balm relieves our brain of its ache and tension, so music can relax the tense muscles of our body. The melodious notes of music have the capacity to cure the mental or physical fatigue of a weary person.
Treatment of ailments: Music has miraculous powers for treating certain mental ailments such as anxiety, abnormal excitement or depression. It is also helpful for the treatment of patients suffering from insomnia. It has excellent exhilarating power. It can be compared to mother’s love. Just as a child forgets everything and feels joy in mother’s lap, in the same way we forget all worries and anxieties in musical environment.
Magical power: Music has magical power. This is testified by the fact that Orpheus, a legendary Greek musician could make stones dance to his music. The stories of Tansen and Baiju Bawra are not unknown to us. They could light lamps, melt stones, blossom flowers in autumn, cause rain just by the accurate use of the ‘accurate tune’.
Emotional and spiritual uplifting: There is no doubting the various powers of music, but the aspect of music which is of the greatest value to the human being is its emotional aspects. No achievement can be as great as the emotional and spiritual uplifting that we get from music. Music helps us connect with our deeper self and bring our emotions to the fore.
Universal language: The barriers of language and religion cannot restrict music to flourish in a foreign country. Music has the power to dissolve the physical boundaries of the nations. It removes the barriers of age and language and speaks to us all.
Conclusion: Music washes away from the soul, the dust of everyday life and inspires one to live a lofty life. There is absolute tranquility and harmony, when the magical notes of music enters one’s heart. Such experiences are beyond words and can only be experienced.The notes of music take the listener to the region of the unknown where there is only emotional ecstasy and transport him to a world of melody and sympathy.
Category: Essays, Paragraphs and Articles