A commemorative postage stamp on the Birth Anniversary of Pratapnarayan Mishra :
Issued onSep 24, 2013
Issued for :Department of Posts is happy to release a Commemorative Postage Stamp on Pratap Narayan Mishra.
Stamp/FDC :Vinita Sinha
Cancellation : Nenu Gupta
Type :Stamp, Mint Condition
Denomination :500 Paise
Stamps Printed :0.32 Million (0.01 million for the proponent)
Printing Process :Wet Offset
Printer :IndiaSecurity Press, Nashik
Name : Pratap Narayan Mishra
Born onSep 24, 1856 at Unnao, Uttar Pradesh, India
Died onJul 6, 1894 at Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India
- Pratap Narayan Mishrawas born on 24th September, 1856 in the villageBaijegaon, DistrictUnnao. His father,Pt. Sankata Prasad Mishra, was an astrologer.
- After his birth, his family moved toKanpurwhere he spent his childhood. His father wanted him to follow his footsteps and become an astrologer but young Pratap had other plans. Though he studied in an English medium school for sometime, but could not retain his interest in the monotonous studies. However, he studied on his own and mastered Bengali, Sanskrit, English, Urdu and Persian languages. He contributed to the enrichment of the different genre of Hindi literature. His famous works were ‘Lokokti Shatak‘, ‘Prarthana Shatak‘, ‘Shriprem Puran‘, ‘Kali Kautuk‘, ‘Hathi Hammir‘, ‘Bharat Durdasha‘, ‘Braidala Swagat‘, ‘Trupantam‘and‘Kanpur Mahamatya‘.
- He was the first stylist essayist of Hindi who penned down more than 250 articles on contemporary topics. He translated many Bengali works in Hindi including the works ofBankim Chandra ChattopadhyayaandIshwar Chandra Vidyasagar. Besides being a writer, Pratap Narayan Mishra also laid down the foundation of ‘Natak Sabha‘ to promote Hindi theatre.
- Mishra was one of the pioneers of Hindi literature. He was the founder publisher and editor of the famous Hindi monthly journal ‘Brahmin‘ which started on 15th March, 1883. It was the mouthpiece for the cause of national unity, social awareness and against the atrocities of the British rule. Mishra was also a co-editor of a daily newspaper ‘Hindustan‘ which was brought out in association withMadan Mohan Malaviya.
- Pratap Narayan Mishra made notable contribution to the freedom struggle with his writings. He represented Kanpur alongwith others at the third and the fourth session ofIndian National Congressheld atMadrasandAllahabadrespectively.
- During his short life span, Mishra has written forty books which include his original writings and translation work. Some of his work could not be published due to his illness and financial crunch.
- Pratap Narayan Mishra left for heavenly abode on 6th July, 1894 at a young age of 38 in Kanpur.
- Text : Based on the material furnished by the proponent.
До поворота оставалось еще триста метров, а такси от него отделяло всего несколько машин. Беккер понимал, что через несколько секунд его застрелят или собьют, и смотрел вперед, пытаясь найти какую-нибудь лазейку, но шоссе с обеих сторон обрамляли крутые, покрытые гравием склоны. Прозвучал еще один выстрел. Он принял решение. Под визг покрышек, в снопе искр Беккер резко свернул вправо и съехал с дороги.